The character of Tom is probably best known for his Black soulless eyes, which can be explained by the fact his mother was a bowling ball and his father was a watermelon (originally intended to be a pineapple to explain his hair, although was accidentally drawn as a watermelon by Edd, as explained by Tom in a Tumblr post. This was retconned in Fun Dead).
When he is shown with eyes, which rarely happens, he has either sparkly eyes with eyelashes or blue eyes which shine in them. Earlier in the series, he had a unibrow where his eyes should have been and later two black eye sockets, without pupils or eyeballs. His female counterpart, Tamara, also lacks eyes. His Western ancestor, Sheriff Thompson, has one eye covered by an eyepatch.In Hammer and Fail 2, it turns out the eye sockets are in fact empty, as seen when Tom rubs his eyes after seeing the ghost, his hands go straight through the sockets. Occasionally, such as when he is surprised, he is shown with blank white eyes. Usually, when Tom gains his eyes, he (usually) loses them by getting shot with lasers.
His first appearance with empty eye sockets was in Zombeh Nation.
Appearances with eyes
- Zanta Claws: Tom briefly has eyes when he says, "I did not!", after Zanta Claws says he was naughty for eating a pie, which had a note on it that said "Do not eat!"
- Moving Targets: When Tom, Edd and Matt were burnt by Tord's jet-pack, their eyes made a stunned expression, including Tom's.
- Zanta Claws II: Tom recieves new eyes from Zanta Claws since they are, apparently, his heart's desire. However, he sacrifices them in order to save Santa by taking a laser to the face.
- Zanta Claws III: When Zanta Claws is trying to convince Tom to team up with Zanta and destroy Christmas, Tom briefly has eyes when telling Zanta he sucks.
- Hammer and Fail 2: He has white eyes while yelling at 5:55.
- Climate Change: When shouting at Edd, he has hypnotic eyes.
- Rock Bottom: Throughout the entire episode.
- Space Face: Part 1: For a brief moment, Tom had eyes was gives eyes by the Normalizer, only to have them removed seconds later by a laser gun.
- Space Face: Part 2: When Matt zaps Tom, some frames show Tom with eyes.
- The End: After Tom threw the sofa at the wall and he was walking angrily, he has white eyes.