Thomas James Ridgewell
June 27, 1990
- Not to be confused with his Eddsworld persona, Tom.
Thomas James "TomSka" Ridgewell (born June 27, 1990) is a British comedian and YouTuber who was, along with Matt Hargreaves, one of Edd Gould's closest friends. Ridgewell voiced his animated counterpart in Eddsworld and has contributed to it from 2004 to 2016. He is mostly known for his ASDFmovie videos.
Tom met Edd Gould on the StickSuicide forums (now Explosm.net, best known for their Cyanide and Happiness webcomic) on the Internet back in 2002. He initially looked up to Gould as an idol; they quickly became friends, and Ridgewell would often send Gould his animations for critique.
|“||I [...] met Tom online actually, shortly after I started making stick animations, he was actually a fan who had added me on a messaging service back when I did stick animations because he liked the animations I had posted on StickSuicide.com (now Explosm.net www.explosm.net) and he basically sat in my contact list for a long time, when Edd Again came out he started talking to me more, even sending fan art and his work (which was clearly a take on the style used in Edd Again) which he shortly fixed by adding a monobrow on the face (hence Tom's initial appearance). Then we carried on speaking and I didn't include Tom in any of my animations until late 2004 when I initiated him "into the crew". He was technically the first member too!||”|
When Tom joined the cast of Eddsworld, Edd drew up a "contract" in MS Paint, stating if Tom left he would have to kill himself, or stop animating.
Ridgewell also appeared briefly at the end of the short "Fan Service" displaying three T-shirts that were available at sharkrobot.com.
Death of Edd Gould
- Main article: Death of Edd Gould
- "Edd may be gone, but his world will keep on spinning."
- — Thomas Ridgewell
On Sunday March 25, 2012, Edd Gould passed away after a six-year-battle with leukaemia. Two days later, on Tuesday March 27, Ridgewell and Matt Hargreaves announced Edd's passing on YouTube through the video RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012).
Gould's passing was "abrupt" and no one "saw it coming". He was weak and fighting cancer - he suddenly got sick when he was at home. He was watching Doctor Who at the time (an episode that was "funny"), and he got taken into hospital, where things got really bad really fast and the doctors were telling Gould's mom that "he was done". They were going to give him a week. Ridgewell explained, "his body just kind of freaked out and he slipped away really, really quickly".
Ridgewell states he was informed of Gould's death by a phone call from Gould's mom on Sunday morning, around 10 A.M, where she said he passed away the previous night. He was hungover at the time but sobered up immediately. Ridgewell further explained that while the situation was explained to him, he couldn't really focus on it at the time, and "freaked out" for a bit. Matt Hargreaves called him and came over, and people started coming over throughout the day.
Tom decided to hold off on the announcement of Gould's death for a couple of days. The video RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012) was made on Monday. Ridgewell said it was "tough" to make; Bing was the assistant director for the video, and they all just kept quiet and worked on it throughout the day.
Future of Eddsworld
- Main article: Space Face
Space Face was the first episode to be released posthumously after the death of Edd Gould. The episode is split into two parts.
The first part was planned to be around 8 minutes long, with 1 - 2 minutes left to finish as of April 1, 2012. It debuted at the London MCM Expo on May 26, 2012, and then was uploaded to YouTube 6 days later.
Space Face ended up being a collaborative video, as that was what Gould wanted if he knew he was going to die, as Ridgewell explained. A small selection of 5 - 6 animators worked on it, including: Chris O'Neill (OneyNG), Zach Hadel (psychicpebbles), Harry Partridge (HappyHarry), and Yotam Perel (LazyMuffin). The second part was also planned to be roughly 8 minutes in length. The ideal was then canceled and Paul ter Voorde took over animation. 
Eddsworld under Thomas
- "My friend just died and half a million people are waiting for me to be hilarious."
- — Thomas Ridgewell
Edd's "dying request", as Ridgewell put it, although he admitted he was being melodramatic, was that he didn't want his show to end; he wanted Tom to keep it going. Ridgewell joked that he wasn't given passwords, and that he had to creatively get into most of Gould's accounts.
Ridgewell took on the roles of lead writer, director, and producer for the show. Paul replaced Gould as the full-time animator, and weebl was brought on to create backgrounds, as Paul has stated he is "not very good" at them. Ridgewell planned for more "solid management", something he had always wanted to do regarding Eddsworld; ideally, he would have liked to produce one episode every month, with a length of roughly five minutes.
Ridgewell had discussed with Gould what they would do if Gould died, and planned to record lots of random lines of dialogue, but they didn't manage it. Edd would receive a new voice actor rather than being written out of the show - Ridgewell understood the backlash he would receive, but that there was "nothing else [he] could really do about that", and that the fans would have to accept it. The auditions were held between close friends, and Edd's new voice was touched upon in the animation as a joke - "a gag, basically".
All profits that weren't going towards the show would be going towards the Teenage Cancer Trust. Ridgewell stated that if they did not have the funds to start up Eddsworld, he would possibly use either Kickstarter or Indie-Fund to get it up and running.
Ridgewell aimed to get the entire Eddsworld series available on DVD. He planned to export the copyrighted music out of Gould's older movies and hire some musicians to redo some original music. He restated that extra profits will go towards Teenage Cancer Trust.
Regarding the future of Eddsworld, Ridgewell left a message on the Eddsworld Facebook account:
|“|| Hey Eddheads. My name is Tom Ridgewell (you might know me as the one from Eddsworld with black eyes).|
For the past 8 years I have been the producer, co-writer and co-director of Eddsworld. Edd was also my friend and.. Well.. You can imagine that this isn't an easy time. Not for any of us; be it family, friend or fan. I'd like to take this opportunity to offer my sincerest condolences to everyone has been hit hard by Edd's passing. I'm so sorry.
But I knew Edd and how much he hated sadness. He dedicated his life to laughter after all! I'm not trying to cut the grieving period short but a lot of you have been worried so I'd like to take a moment to answer one of the questions you've all been asking.
"What's going to happen to Eddsworld?"
Me and Edd always talked (and joked) about what we'd do with the show if he wasn't going to make it. But we never really settled on anything particular. We always thought we had time.. But before Edd left he made it clear to his mother that he didn't want his show to end. Not with his death. Not after everything he and so many others had put into it.
Edd wanted me - he wanted us - to keep the show alive. And that is exactly what I'm going to do.
Obviously Edd took his voice with him. I can't help that. But I'll do my best to make it right. To give his character a new voice.
Please understand.. I can't bring him back. God knows I wish I could. All I can do is honour his memory and his wishes by giving you the best damn show you've ever seen. So stay tuned.
The world goes round, Eddheads. The world goes round.
Due to severe depression, Tom put Eddsworld on hiatus for several months. The hiatus ended on November 21, 2013, and Eddie Bowley was named the new director.
During his severe depression, Tom updated the Eddsworld tumblr:
|“|| I know I shouldn't be typing this out but.. I don't know what else to do.
I am desperately unhappy. I'm failing to run Eddsworld and the guilt is killing me. Grief has broken my spirit. To you, the viewers, I'm sorry for the delays. I promised you so much and have consistently disappointed you. You gave me your trust, your patience and your money and I'm yet to come through with anything. You deserve a lot better and you WILL get it. To my coworkers (Paul especially), I'm sorry I've been such a poor director/producer. You've been grounded by my lack of input for months now and people need to understand who is responsible. Finally, to Edd, I'm sorry I've let you down, man. I can't do this without you. I'm just not strong enough. Thank you all for waiting; I'm sorry you have to. Things will get better. Until then, - Tom—
Shortly before part two of The End was released, Tom announced that he would be leaving Eddsworld. After part two of The End was uploaded, he officially said goodbye, and gave Matt and Edd's family permission to use his animated counterpart.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Ridgewell has a second YouTube channel under the name DarkSquidge, where for the most part, he makes vlogs. Two vlogs involve Eddsworld, which are "My Friend Died" and "Eddsworld Vlog".
- Thomas hasn't talked to Tord Larsson in over five years (as of 2013), stating that although they didn't fight, they "never really [got] on". After Tord left Eddsworld, they had no reason to talk to each other.
- Ridgewell's ex-girlfriend (screen name JennyBee) has appeared in a range of Tom's videos.
- Thomas is the youngest of the four; being 24 years old and because he was born in 1990 while Edd, Matt, and Tord were born in 1988 (Edd) and 1989 (Matt and Tord).
- Ridgewell stated in a vlog that he was born to two then-26-year-old Jehovah's Witnesses. He even shared an old video his Dad made.
- Ridgewell's mother was a half Ashkenazi Jew and two quarters French and German.
- Ridgewell was raised a Jehovah's Witness, which explains his apparent hatred of Christmas in his videos, as well as in Eddsworld. However, he stated in a VLOG that he no longer holds his faith.
- Ridgewell was going to have a sister, Amelia, but she died in the womb after a car crash. Because of this, he was eventually named Thomas, which means "twin". He was originally going to be named Dudley.
- Ridgewell is of English, Scottish, Irish, French, German and Jewish descent.
- ↑ Episode: When the Best of the Worst Collide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Vokle TomSka is alright
- ↑ deviantART journal entry: Origins of Eddsworld [WORDSWORDSWORDS]
- ↑ YouTube video: RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012)
- ↑ Facebook update: Hey Eddheads. My... | Facebook
- ↑ Tumblr Post:http://eddsworld.tumblr.com/post/58010047543/i-know-i-shouldnt-be-typing-this-out-but-i
- ↑ http://thetomska.tumblr.com/post/111600968658/does-the-end-part-1-mean-what-i-think-it-does
- ↑ http://eddsworld.tumblr.com/post/141148836540/goodbye-old-friend
- ↑ http://thetomska.tumblr.com/post/141199544323/the-beginning
- ↑ Episode: 25ft under the seat
- ↑ YouTube video: Tord explains why he left Eddsworld (RIP Edd Gould)
- ↑ YouTube Video: The Complete History of Me (1/3)
- ↑ YouTube Video: VLOG FROM 1992
- ↑ YouTube Video: The Day My Faith Died
- Official website
- Newgrounds userpage (TomSka)
- Newgrounds userpage (DarkSquidgeLock)
- DeviantArt userpage (TomSka)
- YouTube channel (TomSka)
- Twitter userpage (TheTomSka)
- Facebook page (TheTomSka)
- Teenage Cancer Trust website
|Eddsworld Cast and Characters|
|Main||Edd • Matt • Tord • Tom|
|Recurring||Paul • Evil Director • Larry • Hellucard • Diwi • Coco • Zombehs • Zombeh Matt • Kim and Katya • Ringo • Zanta Claws • Santa Claus • Eduardo • Jon • Mark • Commander Bai • Commander Bai's Crew • Patryck • Bendee • Dr. Decapi • Demons|
|Others||Loud Bob • Future Edd • Tomee Bear • Larry • Complimentary Aliens • Bendee • Vampire Matt • Private Brains • Lucifer • Clones • Laurel • Lemon • The King • Grim Reaper • Steve • The Milkman • Joe • Shoe • Skeleton Tord • Hockey Mask Wearing Freak • Hilary • Atlantisians • Snogre • Thomas The Tank • Guardian Angel • Paul alien • The Boxmas Bot • Fred • Psycosis • Bill and Frank • The Ghost • Son Rwanson • Todd|