- Not to be confused with his Eddsworld persona, Tom.
Thomas James "TomSka" Ridgewell (born June 27, 1990) is a British comedian and YouTuber who was, along with Matt Hargreaves, one of Edd Gould's best friends both in real life and in Eddsworld. Ridgewell voiced Tom in Eddsworld and has appeared in the series from 2004 to 2016. He is most famous for his series ASDFmovie.
After the death of Edd Gould on March 25, 2012, Ridgewell announced on April 1, 2012 via a Vokle session that he has taken charge of Eddsworld (becoming the lead writer, director, and producer), as per Gould's request to keep it going.
In 2016, Tom announced that he would be leaving Eddsworld. After The End part 2 was released, he officially said goodbye to Eddsworld, saying that Matt and Edd's family may continue the show, and they were welcome to continue using his character.
Tom met Edd Gould on the StickSuicide forums (now Explosm.net, best known for their Cyanide and Happiness webcomic) on the Internet back in 2002. He initially looked up to Gould as an idol; they quickly became friends, and Ridgewell would often send Gould his animations for critique.
|“||I [...] met Tom online actually, shortly after I started making stick animations, he was actually a fan who had added me on a messaging service back when I did stick animations because he liked the animations I had posted on StickSuicide.com (now Explosm.net www.explosm.net) and he basically sat in my contact list for a long time, when Edd Again came out he started talking to me more, even sending fan art and his work (which was clearly a take on the style used in Edd Again) which he shortly fixed by adding a monobrow on the face (hence Tom's initial appearance). Then we carried on speaking and I didn't include Tom in any of my animations until late 2004 when I initiated him "into the crew". He was technically the first member too!||”|
When Tom joined the cast of Eddsworld, Edd drew up a "contract" in MS Paint, stating if Tom left he would have to kill himself, or stop animating.
Ridgewell also appeared briefly at the end of the short "Fan Service" displaying three T-shirts that were available at sharkrobot.com.
Death of Edd Gould
- Main article: Death of Edd Gould
- "Edd may be gone, but his world will keep on spinning."
- — Thomas Ridgewell
On Sunday March 25, 2012, Edd Gould passed away after a six-year-battle with leukaemia. Two days later, on Tuesday March 27, Ridgewell and Matt Hargreaves announced Edd's passing on YouTube through the video RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012).
Gould's passing was "abrupt" and no one "saw it coming". He was weak and fighting cancer - he suddenly got sick when he was at home. He was watching Doctor Who at the time (an episode that was "funny"), and he got taken into hospital, where things got really bad really fast and the doctors were telling Gould's mom that "he was done". They were going to give him a week. Ridgewell explained, "his body just kind of freaked out and he slipped away really, really quickly".
Ridgewell states he was informed of Gould's death by a phone call from Gould's mom on Sunday morning, around 10 A.M, where she said he passed away the previous night. He was hungover at the time but sobered up immediately. Ridgewell further explained that while the situation was explained to him, he couldn't really focus on it at the time, and "freaked out" for a bit. Matt Hargreaves called him and came over, and people started coming over throughout the day.
Tom decided to hold off on the announcement of Gould's death for a couple of days. The video RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012) was made on Monday. Ridgewell said it was "tough" to make; Bing was the assistant director for the video, and they all just kept quiet and worked on it throughout the day.
Future of Eddsworld
- Main article: Space Face
The first part was planned to be around 8 minutes long, with 1 - 2 minutes left to finish as of April 1, 2012. It debuted at the London MCM Expo on May 26, 2012, and then was uploaded to YouTube 6 days later.
Thomas Ridgewell and Matt Hargreaves will not be animating Space Face part 2 by themselves; it will be a collaborative video, as that was what Gould wanted if he knew he was going to die, as Ridgewell explained. A small selection of 5 - 6 animators will be working on it, including: Chris O'Neill (OneyNG), Zach Hadel (psychicpebbles), Harry Partridge (HappyHarry), and Yotam Perel (LazyMuffin). The second part is also planned to be roughly 8 minutes in length. The ideal was then canceled and Paul ter Voorde took over animation. 
Eddsworld under Thomas
- "My friend just died and half a million people are waiting for me to be hilarious."
- — Thomas Ridgewell
Edd's "dying request", as Ridgewell put it, although he admitted he was being melodramatic, was that he didn't want his show to end; he wanted Tom to keep it going. Ridgewell joked that he wasn't given passwords, and that he had to creatively get into most of Gould's accounts.
Ridgewell is now the lead writer, director, and producer for the show. Paul will replace Gould as the full-time animator, although weebl will be brought on to create the backgrounds, as Paul has stated he is "not very good" at them. Ridgewell plans for more "solid management", something he has always wanted to do regarding Eddsworld; ideally, he would like to produce one episode every month, with a length of roughly five minutes.
Ridgewell had discussed with Gould what they would do if Gould died, and planned to record lots of random lines of dialogue, but they didn't manage it. Edd will receive a new voice actor rather than being written out of the show - Ridgewell understands that some fans will hate this, but that there's "nothing else [he] can really do about that", and that the fans will have to accept it. The auditions will be held between close friends, and Edd's new voice will be touched upon in the animation as a joke - "a gag, basically".
Eddsworld is planned to be run by a dedicated team, and will even be a full-time occupation for a few people. All profits that aren't going towards the show will be going towards the Teenage Cancer Trust. Ridgewell states that if they do not have the funds to start up Eddsworld, he will possibly use either Kickstarter or Indie-Fund to get it up and running.
Ridgewell also aims to get the entire Eddsworld series available to buy on DVD. He plans to export the copyrighted music out of Gould's older movies and hire some musicians to redo some original music. He also stated that, again, extra profits will go towards Teenage Cancer Trust.
Regarding the future of Eddsworld, Ridgewell left a message on the Eddsworld Facebook account:
|“|| Hey Eddheads. My name is Tom Ridgewell (you might know me as the one from Eddsworld with black eyes).|
For the past 8 years I have been the producer, co-writer and co-director of Eddsworld. Edd was also my friend and.. Well.. You can imagine that this isn't an easy time. Not for any of us; be it family, friend or fan. I'd like to take this opportunity to offer my sincerest condolences to everyone has been hit hard by Edd's passing. I'm so sorry.
But I knew Edd and how much he hated sadness. He dedicated his life to laughter after all! I'm not trying to cut the grieving period short but a lot of you have been worried so I'd like to take a moment to answer one of the questions you've all been asking.
"What's going to happen to Eddsworld?"
Me and Edd always talked (and joked) about what we'd do with the show if he wasn't going to make it. But we never really settled on anything particular. We always thought we had time.. But before Edd left he made it clear to his mother that he didn't want his show to end. Not with his death. Not after everything he and so many others had put into it.
Edd wanted me - he wanted us - to keep the show alive. And that is exactly what I'm going to do.
Obviously Edd took his voice with him. I can't help that. But I'll do my best to make it right. To give his character a new voice.
Please understand.. I can't bring him back. God knows I wish I could. All I can do is honour his memory and his wishes by giving you the best damn show you've ever seen. So stay tuned.
The world goes round, Eddheads. The world goes round.
Due to severe depression, which was most likely stemming from Edd's death and made it difficult for him to put effort into making the show, Tom decided put Eddsworld on hiatus for several months. The hiatus ended on November 21, 2013, and Eddie Bowley was named the new director. During his severe depression, Tom updated the Eddsworld tumblr:
|“|| I know I shouldn't be typing this out but.. I don't know what else to do.
I am desperately unhappy. I'm failing to run Eddsworld and the guilt is killing me. Grief has broken my spirit. To you, the viewers, I'm sorry for the delays. I promised you so much and have consistently disappointed you. You gave me your trust, your patience and your money and I'm yet to come through with anything. You deserve a lot better and you WILL get it. To my coworkers (Paul especially), I'm sorry I've been such a poor director/producer. You've been grounded by my lack of input for months now and people need to understand who is responsible. Finally, to Edd, I'm sorry I've let you down, man. I can't do this without you. I'm just not strong enough. Thank you all for waiting; I'm sorry you have to. Things will get better. Until then, - Tom—
Shortly before The End (Part 2) was released, Tom said on the Eddsworld Tumblr that he was leaving Eddsworld in all aspects. The reason behind was because he thought he had failed the Eddsworld Legacy project in every way, and that he never got to properly mourn Edd. It is unknown who will replace him as the voice of Tom.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Ridgewell hosts his own successful YouTube channel under the name TomSka, where he does comedy sketches, animations, and music.
- Ridgewell has a second YouTube channel under the name DarkSquidge, where for the most part, he makes vlogs. Two vlogs involve Eddsworld, which are "My Friend Died" and "Eddsworld Vlog".
- Thomas hasn't talked to Tord Larsson in over five years (as of 2013), stating that although they didn't fight, they "never really [got] on". After Tord left Eddsworld, they had no reason to talk to each other.
- Also his ex-girlfriend 'JennyBee' as her YouTube name is, has appeared in a range of Tom's videos.
- Tom is the person behind the Asdfmovie series, for any fans of the asdf stuff.
- Thomas is the youngest of the 3 (originally 4); being 24 years old and because he was born in 1990 while Edd, Matt, and Tord were born in 1988 (Edd) and 1989 (Matt and Tord).
- He was raised a Jehovah's Witness, which explains his apparent hatred of Christmas in his videos, as well as in Eddsworld. However, he stated in a VLOG that he no longer holds his faith.
- He was going to have a sister, Amelia, but she died in the womb after a car crash. Because of this, he was eventually named Thomas, which means "twin", he was first supposed to be named Dudley.
- As of 2016, he has officially stepped down as show-runner, co-producer, co-director and co-writer of Eddsworld. He is currently working on Crash Zoom and his own YouTube channel.
- ↑ Episode: When the Best of the Worst Collide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 YouTube video: RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Vokle | TomSka is alright
- ↑ http://thetomska.tumblr.com/post/111600968658/does-the-end-part-1-mean-what-i-think-it-does
- ↑ http://eddsworld.tumblr.com/post/141148836540/goodbye-old-friend
- ↑ http://thetomska.tumblr.com/post/141199544323/the-beginning
- ↑ deviantART journal entry: Origins of Eddsworld [WORDSWORDSWORDS]
- ↑ Facebook update: Hey Eddheads. My... | Facebook
- ↑ Tumblr Post:http://eddsworld.tumblr.com/post/58010047543/i-know-i-shouldnt-be-typing-this-out-but-i
- ↑ YouTube channel: TomSka
- ↑ Episode: 25ft under the seat
- ↑ YouTube video: Tord explains why he left Eddsworld (RIP Edd Gould)