Spares is an episode of Eddsworld released on May 16, 2008. When a film gets only four viewers consisting of Edd, Matt, Tom and Tord, an evil director thinks up a genius plan to get himself more views and money.
Edd, Matt, Tom, and Tord are watching a film, clearly enjoying it. The movie ends and the gang leaves the cinema while commenting on how good it was. On the other hand, Christopher Bingbong, the evil director, is frustrated that his movie was a commercial failure, getting only four viewers. Larry, his assistant, suggests that Christopher make a better one. Christopher then develops a plan to make 4 million clones of Edd, Matt, Tord, and Tom by using DNA left on their seats to have at least 444 more viewers.
Christopher makes the clones, fills up the theatre, and runs next movie. During the screening, the main character cracks a dirty joke, causing everyone to laugh except for one Tom clone, who gets sent to a room of rejected clones. Meanwhile, Christopher notices the clones leave the theatre when the movie is over and blames Larry for not thinking this through.
After an army of Edd clones pass by Dom, who greets them all; one Edd clone asks the other clones where they should go now. The crowd choruses "arcade" while a solitary Tom clone suggests "shoe shopping" and gets thrown into a dumpster afterwards. The clones go to the arcade and cause havoc. They eventually acquire a massive pile of tickets, only to receive a small shark keychain as the prize. In retaliation, they set the arcade on fire. The clones decide to go home, while the Tom clone suggests "kitten shopping"; he gets tossed into another dumpster.
Christopher and Larry set off to look for the clones. They ask a passerby if he has seen a large group of identical looking people, only for the passer to point to a nearby twin convention. Christopher laments that he won't be able to find the clones while Larry finds a trail of Edd's cola cans. Christopher initially denies this, but he ultimately decides to follow the trail.
The real gang is watching TV when the doorbell rings. Matt opens the door, causing a wave of clones to burst into the living room, much to Edd and Matt's shock and Tom's excitement. Edd goes to get Cola from the refrigerator and asks if anyone else wants a drink. The clones reach for the Cola and an Edd clone takes the Cola can in Edd's hand. Edd gets angry and kills the clone with a shotgun. The other clones proceed to attack Edd until Tom, Matt, and Tord intervene. A massacre ensues.
Meanwhile, Christopher notices that the trail of cans end by a sewage drain. He deduces that all the clones must have crawled into and spread throughout the sewers to establish an underground civilization. There, the clones would get superpowers from the raw sewage and use those powers to enslave mankind within a thousand years time. He gets interrupted by an Edd clone flying out of Edd's house.
As gang finishes off the rest of the clones, Christopher and Larry step into the house. Christopher announces that he has come to dispose of the clones, just as he notices the massive pile of dead clones. Just then, Matt and a Matt clone that has managed to survive the massacre step in. When Tom says that he thinks he knows what to do, the gang disposes of Tom and stuff him in the trash can, with the Matt clone wearing Tom's clothes. Everyone laughs, except for Larry, who eventually snaps and shouts "How do you morons even breathe?!"
Dawn of the Edd: The Cancelled Sequel
There was once a sequel to Spares in production called Dawn of the Edd, the plot was supposed to revolve around some of Edd's clones having survived the massacre and forming an army to get revenge on the real Edd.
Only one promotional photo was ever made. The project has been a mystery since.
According to credits, no specific order.
- Edd Gould: Himself, movie hero, movie geek, Larry
- Matt Hargreaves: Himself
- Tord Larsson: Himself
- Tom Ridgewell: Himself
- Christopher Bingham: Christopher Bingbong
- Dom: Himself
- Ian: Himself
- Arcade Theme: Tom
- Death Mental: Sam
- Spares: Bing
- Additional backing music: Tom
Characters featured in this episode:
- In the arcade there is a asdfmovie toy in the skill crane.
- The Eddsworld Cereal from Ruined is a prize at the arcade.
- Larry mentions the famous monster movies Godzilla, King Kong and Jurassic Park.
- During the arcade montage, one clone of Matt looks like Wally/Waldo from Where's Wally/Waldo? Matt was intentionally dressed as Wally/Waldo because of his original YouTube username, wallycube.
- The twin convention banner says "Two Wrongs Make A Wright." which is a spoof to the phrase, "Two wrongs don't make a right."
- There is a game called Zoombies! which is a quote from Zombeh Nation.
- There are 3 games in the arcade similar to real games.
- House of the Lead - House of the Dead
- Fap Fap Revolution - Dance Dance Revolution
- Dunkee Punch - Dragon Punch
- When a picture of everyone in the arcade is shown, one of the Tom clones is giving the middle finger.
- The television sounds when the Eddsworld gang were watching the TV are from a short film on Tom's Youtube channel called "Kill Bing", the same Bing who voices the evil director in this animation, Spares.
- In The Big Named Monster, a character has a shirt that has "Moving Target" written on it. This is a reference to Moving Targets, an Eddisode that came out two months after Spares.
- In both movies, you can see an actor is called George Cloonberg. This could possibly be a parody of George Clooney.
- This could also show Tord's fondness of guns, because he uses them in the arcade.
- A skill level in Dunkee Punch is called "Tom".
- The feminine Tom clone has the same voice that Tom used after seeing the mall in Zombeh Attack.
- The Matt clone that is seen in the end may have been used for the movie Matt made in MovieMakers.
- When the clones get their brains put in, an Edd clone's head gets a toaster put into it. This is most likely the inspiration to the cover of the book 'Toaster Brains', a collection of Edd's comics.
- In the Spanish dub for the Eddisode, Tom says, "I hate the trash," when he's thrown in a garbage bin.
- One of the rejected Matt clones has real-life Matt's head. The way he speaks is similar to South Park's version of Saddam Hussein, as well as the Canadians.
- The small text on "The Big Named Monster" poster is just gibberish.
- The movie was written by Monkey No. 56.
- There is a running gag in the Eddisode where Tom gets pushed aside.
- A Tom clone questions a dirty joke, resulting in him getting sent to the reject room.
- One feminine Tom clone gets thrown into a dumpster twice, saying "Shoe shopping!" instead of "Arcade!", and "Kitten shopping!" instead of "Home!", both times he speak in a high-pitched voice.
- Finally, the real Tom gets thrown in a bin when the group decides what to do with the Matt clone.
- The "10 mins later..." sound was the same sound clip from Zombeh Nation.
- In the beginning of the arcade montage, an Edd clone and a Matt clone can be seen play air hockey, but the only thing moving is the hockey puck.
- At the arcade, all the tickets have the number 5318008, which spells "boobies" when typed upside-down on a calculator.
- When the clone Tom is thrown in the recycling bin, some of the letters got faded on the bin, making "Recycled Glass" say "Recycled Ass".
- When Hellucard is saying ,"Hey Edd," to the Edd clones, one of the clones was naked.
- When Bing does the math, he wrote:
- "I have huge genitals".
- the word Algebra with an arrow pointing to the bra part of the word and says "heehee".
- "Pud Pud", a term for the female bladder.
- It's unknown on how the group got rid of the other Matt (or took him somewhere else) before the events of Moving Targets.
- As they are talking about how good the movie was, Tom says, "No one will ever love me!"
- One of the clones, a Matt clone, takes a jar of pickles instead of a Coke.
- The name for the Eddisode was originally entitled, "Dawn of the Edd", but this was changed for unknown reasons.
- In a house scene, Tord, the real one or the clone, is shown with the Tom clones saying Holy lines.
- "Holy bumblebees on a body board!"
- "Holy carrot cake on a kitten!"
- "Holy reused joke on a web toon!"
- If you look at the poster Hellucard is next to it says "Eggs, don't think about where they come from".
- In the fridge, there is:
- A sock
- A left-out hamburger
- A container with a label saying 'I can't believe it's not margarine'
- An egg,
- 2 pieces of coleslaw(?)
- Two bottles, from left to right, coloured red and blue
- a note labelled, "eddSCola do not touch"
- 8 cans of Cola, which were taken by the clones
- and a jar of pickles, which a Matt clone took.
- At 8:12, Tord is seen with an AK-47. However, throughout the massacre scene, he is seen shooting a PKM.
- Larry: Hmm...a trail of Edd's Cola cans.
Bing: Those could be any ones cans!
[The can has a sticky note on it saying "This belongs to Edd."]
Bing: That could be any Edd!
[The can has an autographed photo of Edd on it.]
Bing: That could be any clone!...Oh.
- Hellucard: Oh look. It's Edd. Hey, Edd! (over and over)
- Edd clone: "So.....where should we go now?"
Horde of Clones: "Home!"
Girly Tom Clone: "Kitten Shopping!......OH NOT AGAIN!'
[The Girly Tom Clone gets dumped into a dumpster]
- Edd: "Oh no! It's a horde of disgusting, hideous, fish-faced, demon spawn!"
Matt "They're clones!"
Edd "Yeah, that's what I said."
Tom "Calm down, guys, clones aren't so bad. I mean, think of the possibilities!"
Tom clone #1 "Holy bumblebees on a body board!"
Tom clone #2 "Holy carrot cake on a kitten!"
Tom clone #3 "Holy reused joke on a web toon!"
- Larry: "HOW DO YOU MORONS EVEN BREATHE?!"
- The Where's Wally Matt was not put in the rejects room. It's theorised that he changed his clothes after he left the movie theatre, but this is unknown.
- The feminine Tom clone was not put in the rejects room.
- Larry's eye-patch switches eyes more than once, though it's likely this is due to his model being mirrored.
- A badly drawn Tom clone.
- A fusion clone of Matt, Tom, Edd and Tord.
- A Tord clone with Tom's eyes, Matt's chin and pants and Edd's hair.
- A Matt clone with his real-life counterpart's head.
- A Tom who questions the quality of The Big Named Monster.